Postcrossing .......... brengt de wereld bij je thuis.
........... brengt de wereld bij je thuis.
Home » Europa N-Z » Verenigd Koninkrijk

Verenigd Koninkrijk / United Kingdom

 

Dorset:  Thomas Hardy's Cottage


Kaart ontvangen van Lulu

Thomas Hardy's Cottage, in Higher Bockhampton, Dorset, is the birthplace of the English author Thomas Hardy (1840-1928)
He lived here until he was aged 34, during which time he wrote Under the Greenwood Tree and Far from the Madding Crowd. Since 1948 It is a National Trust property.
The old-fashioned garden is crowded with lavender, lupins, lilies, marigolds and other traditional plants, just as Hardy knew it.

pzhardy.large.jpg

The two stamps for second class mailings from the permanent Machin series are having slit security (difficult to soak from the paper).
See for more examples http://filavaria.punt.nl/index.php?r=1&id=430835

 



Manchester City, various sights


Kaart ontvangen van Alex

Op de kaart "Historic Manchester" zijn de 5 onderwerpen afgebeeld die Manchester kenmerken.

1. Bridgewater Canal: Dit is het enige kanaal in Engeland dat geen sluizen kent. Er is zelfs een aquaduct aanwezig. Het werd oorspronkelijk gebouwd in 1761 t.b.v. de afvoer van kolen van de mijn in Worsley naar Manchester. Nu is er alleen nog maar plezierjacht.

2. Piccadilly Gardens: Een rustpunt in het midden van de stadsdrukte met groen, pleinen, fonteinen, monumenten, niet ver van de winkelgebieden en het Piccadilly Station.

3. Castlefield: Hier bevindt zich het bestuur van Manchester. Ook is er het Museum voor Wetenschap en Industry.

4. Kathedraal van Manchester: Dit is de topattractie van Manchester. Over de bouw van deze "middeleeuwse" kathedraal heeft men meer dan 600 jaar gedaan. De bouw begon in 1215. In 1940 en in 1996 is de kathedraal beschadigd door respectievelijk een Duits bombardement en een aanslag met een bom van de IRA.

5. Central Library: Dit gebouw met zijn typisch ronde vorm werd gebouwd in de jaren 30 van de vorige eeuw en is geïnspireerd door de vormen van het Pantheon in Rome.



Banavie / Fort William: "Neptune's Staircase"


Kaart ontvangen van Alibee

De kaart geeft een mooi overzicht van Neptune's Staircase" (de trap van Neptunus).
Neptune's Staircase is een stelsel van acht sluizen ontworpen door Thomas Telford. Het stelsel maakt deel uit van het Caledonisch Kanaal en ligt in de buurt van Banavie (een dorp in de omgeving van Fort William). Het kunstwerk laat de boten 19,5 meter stijgen over een lengte van 457 meter. Een gehele doorgang neemt ongeveer 90 minuten in beslag.
Oorspronkelijk werden de sluizen door mankracht aangedreven maar ze werken nu hydraulisch. Het is de grootste van zijn soort in het Verenigd Koninkrijk.

Neptune's Staircase is a staircase lock comprising eight locks on the Caledonian Canal. It is the longest staircase lock in the United Kingdom, and lifts boats 64 feet (19.5 metres). The locks were originally hand-powered, but have been converted to hydraulic operation. The base plinths of the original capstans are still present, although the capstans themselves are now gone.

pzfleming.large.jpg

Op de grote postzegel is een zogenaamd Petri-schaaltje afgebeeld dat gebruikt wordt voor het aantonen en meten van bacterieën/virussen.  Deze postzegel herdenkt de uitvinding van Penicilline door de Schot Sir Alexander Fleming (1881-1955) in 1928. Penicilline was het eerste algemeen bruikbare antibioticum.
Fleming kreeg in 1945 (samen met Chain en Florey) de Nobelprijs voor Geneeskunde. In 1944 was hij al geridderd tot "Sir". Verder ontving hij diverse eredoctoraten bij een 12-tal universiteiten in Europa en de USA.
Sir Alexander Fleming stierf in 1955 aan een hartinfarct.

Sir Alexander Fleming (6 August 1881 – 11 March 1955) was a Scottish biologist and pharmacologist. He wrote many articles on bacteriology, immunology, and chemotherapy. His best-known discoveries are the discovery of the enzyme lysozyme in 1923 and the antibiotic substance penicillin from the mold Penicillium notatum in 1928, for which he shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1945 with Howard Florey and Ernst Chain.
In 1955, Fleming died at his home in London of a heart attack. He was cremated and his ashes interred in St Paul's Cathedral a week later.



Brighton:  "The Royal Pavilion"


Kaart ontvangen van Kreb


Het Royal Pavilion is een klein paleis in het Engelse Brighton in East Sussex. Het werd gebouwd in opdracht van prins George IV van het Verenigd Koninkrijk. Hij gebruikte het niet alleen om tot rust te komen, zoals zijn dokter hem had voorgeschreven, maar ook voor geheime afspraakjes met zijn maitresse Maria Fitzherbert.
Oorspronkelijk was het gebouw een classicistisch landhuis. Eind 18e eeuw kwam het in het bezit van de prins. hij liet het vervolgens uitbreiden in de palladiostijl. In 1815 nam de architect John Nash de bouw over. Hij besloot dat de voorgevel classicistisch zou blijven maar de rest van het gebouw werd een mengelmoes van minaretten, koepels en pagodes. Het geheel werd voor een groot deel in gietijzer uitgevoerd.
Koningin Victoria was minder van het paleis gecharmeerd. Na er een aantal malen verbleven te hebben besloot ze het paleis te verkopen. Één van de redenen was het gebrek aan privacy. Dit werd vooral een probleem toen Brighton bereikbaar werd per trein en veel Londenaren de stad in de weekenden gingen bezoeken. In 1850 kocht de stad Brighton het paleis voor £53.000 pond. Wel werd een groot deel van het interieur overgebracht naar Buckingham Palace en Windsor Castle.
Tijdens de Eerste Wereldoorlog werd het complex gebruikt als ziekenhuis, speciaal voor soldaten uit de koloniën.
Al met al maakt het gebouw een zeer exotische en sprookjesachtige indruk. Het is moeilijk in te schatten of het gebouw nu als Arabisch, Chinees, hindoeïstisch of toch als Gotisch gezien moet worden.

The Royal Pavilion is a former royal residence located in Brighton, England. It was built in three campaigns, beginning in 1787, as a seaside retreat for George, Prince of Wales, from 1811 Prince Regent. It is often referred to as the Brighton Pavilion. It is built in the Indo-Saracenic style prevalent in India for most of the 19th century, with the most extravagant chinoiserie interiors ever executed in the British Isles.
The purchase of the Royal Pavilion from Queen Victoria, by Brighton, marked the beginnings of the site’s tourism dominance through the Royal Pavilion’s transition from a private residence to a public attraction under civic ownership. Today, the Royal Pavilion greets around 400,000 visitors a year and is the main tourist attraction in Brighton.



Leeds: City Square


Kaart ontvangen van Acatia

Deze kaart toont een beeld van het oude centrum van Leeds. Leeds ligt in het noorden van Engeland aan de rivier Aire in de streek West Yorkshire.
Op de kaart is het een drukte van belang. Het busstation ligt hier op enkele honderden meters van het treinstation Leeds.
Prominent aanwezig op de achtergrond is het reclamebord van "Majestic", gebouwd in 1922 als bioscoop. Het gebouw werd later een Bingo speelhal en eind negentiger jaren van de vorige eeuw een nachtclub ("Majestic & Junpin Jaks").
En de rode bussen.......die zijn al lang weer verdwenen en vervangen door moderne voertuigen.

The card pictures the Leeds City Square around 1954. Dominently present is the MAJESTIC sign on top of a building.  The "Majestic" is a famous building in Leeds. It opened in 1922 as a cinema.  Later on it became a Bingo Hall and at present it is a nightclub.
The red double-deck busses are gone!

pzleeds.large.jpg

Deze postzegel is er een uit de beroemde Machin-serie. De eerste postzegel in deze serie, die werd ontworpen door Arnold Machin, verscheen in juni 1967. Inmiddels zijn er al ettelijke honderden verschenen in allerlei kleuren en in vrijwel elke gangbare frankeerwaarde.

The first release of the Machin stamps series was in 1967. The portrait of Queen Elizabeth II is based on the design by Arnold Machin (1911-1999), a British artist, sculptor and coin/stamp designer.

Lees meer over Machin postzegels op:  http://filavaria.punt.nl/index.php?r=1&id=511048


 

Northumberland: Bamburgh Castle


Kaart ontvangen van David

Bamburgh Castle is an imposing castle located on the coast at Bamburgh in Northumberland, England.
Built on a rocky basalt outcrop, the location was previously home to a fort of the native Britons known as Din Guarie and may have been the capital of the British kingdom of the region from the realm's foundation in 420 until 547, the year of the first written reference to the castle.
The Normans built a new castle on the site, which forms the core of the present one. Most parts were built in the 11-13th centuries.
The castle overlooks miles of golden sands and the Farne Islands.
The castle belongs to the Armstrong family since 1894, and is opened to the public. It also hosts weddings and corporate events. It has been used as a film location since the 1920s, featuring in films such as Ivanhoe (1952), El Cid (1961), Mary, Queen of Scots (1972), and Elizabeth (1998).

pzbamburgh.large.jpg

The two stamps on the left are depicting Queen Elizabeth II and are part of the famous "Machin series", the British definitive postage stamps starting in 1966. Picture of the queen is a design of the British artist Arnold Machin (1911-1999).
The right-side stamp shows a picture of Hamlet, the Prince of Denmark, from a tragedy by William Shakespeare (1564-1616).
The added text gives the famous opening lines: "To be or not to be, that is the question".


 

Schotland:  Eilean Donan Castle


Kaart ontvangen van Karen

Eilean Donan Castle is een van oorsprong dertiende eeuws kasteel, gelegen op 0,8 kilometer afstand van Dornie, op een eiland in Loch Duich in de Schotse regio Highland. Aan het begin van de achttiende eeuw werd het kasteel opgeblazen. Aan het begin van de twintigste eeuw werd Eilean Donan Castle uitgebreid gerestaureerd en opengesteld voor publiek.

Eilean Donan (Scottish Gaelic: Eilean Donnáin) is a small island in Loch Duich in the western Highlands of Scotland. It is connected to the mainland by a footbridge and lies about half a mile from the village of Dornie. Eilean Donan (which means simply "island of Donnán") is named after Donnán of Eigg, a Celtic saint martyred in 617. The island is dominated by a picturesque castle which is widely familiar from many photographs and appearances in film and television.
The original castle was built in the early 13th century as a defence against the Vikings. In 1719 the castle was demolished. It was restored between 1919 and 1932.
Eilean Donan is the home of the Clan Macrae. In 2001, the island had a population of just one person.

pzscotland.large.jpg

The stamp with the Rhinoceros is from a series of ten stamps, issued by Royal Mail on March 22, 2011 celebrate the 50-years existance of the World Wildlife Fund.
The complete collection is shown here on a First-Day-Cover (FDC):

wwffdc.large.jpg

 

Each stamp shows one endangered animal: African elephant; mountain gorilla; Siberian tiger; polar bear; Amur leopard; Iberian lynx; red panda; black rhinoceros; African wild dog; golden lion tamarin.
Each of the wildlife stamps in this issue carries the WWF "Panda" logo.


 

Great Britain: Peak National Park


Postcard received from Sian

The Salt Cellar, a gritstone tor on Derwent Edge above Ladybower reservoir, personifies the Dark Peak, as the moorland areas of the Peak National Park are known.  The Peak National Park was the first in Britain, designated in 1951, and it covers 555 square miles.