Roemenie / Romania
Romania / Bucarest: Stirbei Palace
Kaart ontvangen van Alina and Alex
The Stribei Palace (1835) in Neoclassical style was build according to the plans of the French architect Sanjouand. This elegant and light edifice, with Greek elements, belonged to the prince family Stirbei until 1948, when it was nationalized.
Unfortunately, many important and fine architectural elements were destroyed and lost at the end of the fifties in the 20th century.
It sheltered the Museum of Ceramics and Glass till 1994. At present the renewed building is belonging to private persons again.
The postage stamp on this card shows Anastase Dragomir.
Anastase Dragomir (1896-1966) was a distinguished Romanian inventor, most famous for his "catapultable cockpit" patent (with Tanase Dobrescu) as an early version of the modern ejection seat.
The invention was tested at Paris-Orly in France on August 28, 1929. It was succesfully repeated at Baneasa Airport in Bucharest on October 26, 1929. Dragomir obtained several patents on his invention.
Kaart ontvangen van Vasile
Cluj-Napoca, meestal alleen Cluj genoemd, is een zeer oude stad in de streek Transsylvanië van Roemenië. Er zijn nu ongeveer 330 duizend inwoners in deze stad.
De stad is multicultureel en heeft een meertalige universiteit. Cluj of eigenlijk Napoca bestond al 2 eeuwen vóór Christus.
In de loop der tijd zijn er significante invloeden geweest van Romeinen, Duitsers, Turken en Hongaren.
Op de kaart is op de voorgrond een standbeeld te zien van een man te paard. De man is Mihai Viteazu, ook wel "Michael the Brave" genoemd. Hij leefde van 1558-1601 en was uiteindelijk de prins van Wallachia, Transsylvania en Moldavia. Hij streed met succes tegen de Turkse invasie. Maar hij was niet geliefd bij de edelen en werd dan ook vermoord op 9 augustus 1601. Toch wordt hij door zijn goede daden als een Roemeense held beschouwd.
Cluj-Napoca (German: Klausenburg; Hungarian: Kolozsvár) commonly known as Cluj, is the fourth most populous city in Romania and the seat of Cluj County in the northwestern part of the country. Geographically, it is roughly equidistant from Bucharest (441 km), Budapest (409 km) and Belgrade (465 km). Located in the Somesul Mic River valley, the city is considered the unofficial capital to the historical province of Transylvania. In 1790-1848 and 1861–1867, it was the official capital of the Grand Principality of Transylvania.
In 2007, the hotel industry in the county of Cluj offered total accommodations of 6,472 beds, of which 3,677 were in hotels, 1,294 in guesthouses and the rest in chalets, campgrounds, or hostels. A total of 700.000 visitors, 140.000 of whom were foreigners, stayed overnight. However, a considerable share of visits is made by those who visit Cluj-Napoca for a single day, and their exact number is not known. The largest numbers of foreign visitors come from Hungary, Italy, Germany, the United States, France, and Austria.
The statue in front of the picture is presenting "Michael the Brave". Michael the Brave (Romanian: Mihai Viteazu(l), Mihai Bravu, Hungarian: Vitéz Mihály, 1558 - August 9, 1601) was the Prince of Wallachia (1593–1601), of Transylvania (1599–1600), and of Moldavia (1600), the three Romanian principalities being joined in the form of personal union for a brief time under his rule.
During his reign, which coincided with the Long War, these three principalities forming the territory of present-day Romania and Republic of Moldova were ruled for the first time by a single Romanian leader, though the union lasted for less than six months. He is regarded as one of Romania's greatest national heroes.
De postzegel toont een typische keramische vaas uit de regio Transsylvanië. Komt uit een serie van 4 met diverse vasen uit diverse streken van Roemenië.
The stamp shows a traditional ceramic Vase from Transilvania area.
Sibiu: Evangelical Church
Kaart ontvangen van Alexandra
Evangelical Church in Sibiu with its 73-m high tower is one of the most impressive Gothic buildings in the historic center of Sibiu in Transylvania. The church is known for the organ from its interior, a Baroque organ built by a craftsman in Slovakia in 1671, which replaced the first organ brought in Sibiu in 1585. During the summer, from June to September, evangelical church organizes organ concerts, which attract many tourists every Wednesday.
The statue of Bishop Georg Daniel Teutsch (1817 – 1893), known as an advocate of the autonomy of the Saxon community in Transylvania, can be seen in front of the church.
The applied postage stamp is one from the 12 "definitive issues" of 2007. Represented were dinner plates with regional historical illustrations.
The stamp here shows a representative plate from Suceava, a University City in the Bukovina area in the Moldavia region of Romania.
Postcard obtained from Dragos
The postcard depicts the old city center of Bucharest: the Royal Palace Square, in 1989 renamed as Revolution Square. It refers to the period between the First and Second World War.
The postage stamp is from a series of 6 stamps with theme "flowers and old clocks".Caltha palustris (kingcup, marsh marigold / in Romanian Calcea calului) is a plant of the family Ranunculaceae, native to marshes, fens, ditches and wet woodland in temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere.As is the case with many members of the family Ranunculaceae, all parts of the plant are poisonous and can be irritant. Skin rashes and dermatitis have been reported from excessive handling of the plant.